Grilled Honey Garlic Chicken Ingredients
Do not let the simple ingredient list fool you, this honey garlic chicken has big, refined flavor with the perfect combination marinade. Your family will be raving with this dinner recipe! For all ingredient measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Uncooked Chicken: You can use either thighs or chicken breasts.
- Honey: To sweeten and give the marinade its perfect, sticky texture.
- Soy Sauce: For a perfect, savory marinade base.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Helps tenderize the chicken and add a sweet, zippy flavor.
- Garlic: Minced.
- Lemon Juice: Fresh from the juice of one small lemon. While fresh lemon juice adds the best flavor, you can also substitute with bottled lemon juice.
- Sesame Seeds and Green Onions: Optional, for garnish.
How To Prep This Recipe Ahead:
- You can flatten your chicken breasts and store them in your baking dish until youre ready to bake.
- Stir together your seasoning and store for a day or for several months
- Whisk together your sauce and refrigerate it up to 1 week before using just be sure to give it a good whisk before you pour it on the chicken
Honey Garlic Chicken Variations
This dish is delicious as written, but there are many different ways that you can customize it to your tastes.
- Protein: Instead of chicken breast, try chicken thighs, shrimp, sliced steak or cubes of tofu.
- Vegetables: Swap in bok choy, mushrooms, bell peppers, baby corn or zucchini instead of the broccoli and carrots.
- Flavorings: Feel free to add other flavors to the sauce such as fresh ginger, lime juice, hot sauce and toasted sesame oil.
- Toppings: Finish your stir fry with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, green onions, chopped cilantro or crushed red pepper flakes.
Once you try this chicken stir fry, youll find yourself making it on a regular basis!
Recommended Reading: Ys Eco Bee Farms Raw Honey
To Flour Coat Chicken
- Prep the flour mix – In a wide bottom tray, add all-purpose flour, cornstarch, chili powder, ginger powder, garlic powder, pepper powder, and salt. Mix until everything incorporated
- Coat the Chicken – Coat the chicken breast with the flour mix. Make sure to shake the excess and repeat the same for other pieces
Sticky Asian Garlic Sauce For Chicken Tenders
Its always about the sauce. Our chicken strips are coated in a sticky and super flavorful sauce. We love using fish sauce and it can definitely be very intimidating. We write about the Best Fish Sauce here. The rich umami flavors of the fish sauce is super delicious. But you can certainly use soy sauce or how about trying half fish sauce and half soy sauce? You try your tolerance of fish sauce in stages.
- These arent just any ordinary chicken strips theyre our popular honey garlic chicken strips recipe. Theyre sweet and sticky with a nice baked crust.
- For anyone who loves chicken strips, these are amped up an extra level with a sweet and sticky sauce. Just like the fish sauce chicken wings, make sure you have extra handy-wipes ready.
You May Like: Clinique Black Honey Lord Of The Rings
Recommended Tools To Make This Recipe
- Programmable Slow Cooker. I like ones like this that switch to keep warm after the timer is up to help deter overcooking.
^^THAT SAID, every slow cooker model is different. I always recommend checking slow cooker recipes early to test for doneness.
- Small Whisk. I use a 9-inch whisk 99.5% of the time over my large, standard whiskso much so that I just ordered a second one, because my first one always seems to be dirty from recent use. Its perfect for the slurry youll need for this sauce.
- Instant Read Thermometer. The best, most accurate way to know when the chicken is cooked through.
How To Make This Honey Garlic Chicken Breast Recipe
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken: Next, season the chicken with salt and lemon-pepper seasoning on both sides.
- Cook the chicken: Cook over medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked through. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Make the honey garlic sauce: Next, to the same preheated skillet, make the sauce: add the garlic and cook for no more than 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, soy sauce, gluten-free flour, honey and whisk well, or until no visible lumps.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet: Return the chicken to the skillet and spoon over the honey garlic sauce. Continue to cook for a minute or two, just until hot.
- Serve: Finally, serve immediately garnished with fresh chopped parsley.
Also Check: Honey To Make You Hard
How To Make Honey Garlic Chicken Bites
The method to make the chicken bites recipe is super simple:
- Cut chicken breast into cubes, about 1-inch pieces.
- Dust chicken with cornstarch, salt, and pepper
- Sear chicken bites on all sides, then add garlic, lemon juice, chicken stock, and honey.
- Cook until the sauce thicken and get sticky. Sprinkle the honey garlic chicken bites with parsley and red chili pepper flakes.
How To Thicken Or Thin Out The Sauce
If you are not happy with the consistency of the sauce, its easy to make it thicker or thinner. To thicken the sauce, simply mix together a tablespoon of cornstarch with two tablespoons of cold water to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the sauce to thicken it up. On the other hand, if you think the sauce is too thick, add a little bit of water at a time until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.
Don’t Miss: Honey Baked Ham Store Florence Ky
Can You Freeze These Chicken Strips Or Tenders
Yes, you certainly can! Cook a big batch of these and freeze the rest. Theyre definitely better than buying frozen chicken strips from the store. To thaw them we like to take them out of the freezer and let them thaw in the fridge for at least a day. Or before heating them in the oven or air fryer, microwave them for a few minutes to warm them through the center. Then bake them in a pre-heated oven at 350F for about 10-15 minutes OR until they are warmed.
How To Store Reheat And Freeze
- To Store. Store cooked and cooled leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat. Reheat gently in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low heat, with a splash of broth or water if needed to keep it from drying out. You can also rewarm this in the microwave until heated through.
- To Freeze. Place cooked and cooled chicken in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Also Check: Honey Baked Ham Scranton Pa
How To Make Honey Garlic Chicken Breast
Split chicken breast in half so 2 breasts makes 4 pieces
Dust chicken with flour
Sear chicken, add butter, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, honey.
Simmer until the sauce thickens. Turn chicken to coat in the amazing honey garlic sauce.
And THATS IT!
Want to BBQ it? Use this Grilled Honey Soy Chicken recipe instead.
Notice how the sauce is clinging to the surface? Thats because we dusted the chicken with flour so when its pan fried, it creates a crust.
How To Make Creamy Lemon Chicken Breast
Youre 10 minutes away from having this for dinner!
Heres how it goes down:
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, dust with flour
Pan fry until golden then remove
Add everything else in, then simmer for 3 minutes until thickened
Return chicken into skillet to rewarm and
Serve over pasta, mashed potato or for a low carb option, Creamy Mashed Cauliflower.
Theres plenty of creamy lemon sauce for this chicken breast recipe. Enough to toss through pasta!
Recommended Reading: Honey Baked Ham Frederick Md
How Long Do You Cook Frozen Chicken Breast In The Instant Pot
Add between 2-4 minutes to the cook times listed above if your chicken breasts are frozen. I find that adding 3 extra minutes is usually perfect for frozen chicken breasts. You will also want to do a 10 minute natural release instead of a quick release for frozen chicken.
Learn more about how to cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot.
Make sure that your frozen chicken breasts are not all stuck together in one mass, as this will increase the cook time needed. I recommend freezing chicken breasts in a flat layer so that they are easy to separate when adding to your Instant Pot.
You can prep the ingredients for this honey garlic chicken, freeze and then transfer to your Instant Pot frozen. I recommend thawing just slightly in cool water so that you can easily pour the sauce from the freezer bag. You will need the sauce to be liquid for Instant Pot pressure cooking.
This photo shows how I prep this as a chicken freezer meal, using one of these freezer bag holders to easily add ingredients to the freezer bag.
To Make Honey Garlic Chicken
- Saute the aromatic – In the same pan with the remaining oil, add the minced garlic and saute until it turns aromatic
- Add sauce and honey – Add the soy sauce, chili flakes, vinegar, honey, and salt, and give it a good mix
- Boil – Pour 3 tbsp of water and stir well. Now bring the mixture to boil
- Add Chicken – Add the fried chicken breastinto the honey garlic mixture and coat well
- Simmer and Thicken – Simmer the heat and cook until the sauce thickens
- Garnish – Finally, garnish with sesame seeds and remove from heat. And now the delicious Honey Garlic Chicken is ready for you to taste and enjoy
- Serve – Serve this sweet and savory dish with rice, roasted broccoli, roasted green beans, or sides of your choice for lunch and dinner
Recommended Reading: Recipe For Honey Sauce For Chicken
What To Serve With Grilled Honey Garlic Chicken
This flavorful chicken works well alongside so many different dishes. I have been loving it on top of rice served with grilled vegetables for a healthy rice bowl. It also tastes great on salads and in sandwiches. For a complete meal, serve it alongside pasta salad, grilled vegetables, or potatoes.
Storing Grilled Honey Garlic Chicken
Honey garlic chicken is the perfect meal to make ahead, freeze and reheat with these simple tips!
- In the Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- In the Freezer: Grilled chicken will keep in the freezer in an airtight container for 4 months. Let thaw before reheating.
- Reheating: The best way to reheat grilled chicken is in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
You May Like: Mielle Pomegranate And Honey Mousse
Looking For More Easy Dinner Ideas
- Mushroom Swiss Steaks | I love a good Mushroom Swiss Steak, this recipe is crazy simple and the sauce is incredible. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.
- Chicken Fajita Foil Packets | A quick and easy way to make chicken fajitas that are great for cooking at a campground or in your oven at home!
- Hamburger Quiche | Here is a great recipe for you to try if you enjoy ground beef. A simple but satisfying dinner that uses simple ingredients for an incredible dinner.
- No Peek Chicken | The name says it all! You simply prep and then toss in the oven and dont look as it bakes away. Uncover an incredible dinner that everyone will want another spoonful.
Ways To Use Leftover Honey Garlic Chicken
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers you can simply store them in an airtight container in the fridge. For leftovers, you can simply reheat in the microwave or oven and eat the same way again.
Or you can make up some pasta and then slice and serve the chicken that way. Or another great option is to slice the chicken and place over a bed of greens and then make your homemade salad.
Special Equipment For This Recipe
The following links are affiliate links.
The Chunky Chef, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. For more information regarding this program and what it means for you, please see my Privacy page.
- Enameled Cast Iron Skillet heavy bottomed skillets, like this one, heat evenly and give a reliable sear. Plus, its oven-safe for broiling!
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS COMMENTS FOR TIPS AND REVIEWS.
AND DONT FORGET, IF YOUVE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING LETTING ME KNOW HOW YOU ENJOYED IT!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
Chicken Thighs Or Breasts
Chicken thighs are perfect for this recipe, since dark meat is super moist and packed full of flavour. Although, we also love this recipe with chicken breasts they are incredible in this sauce.
The best part about this Honey Garlic Chicken? You have ALL the ingredients in your kitchen pantry/kitchen tap/refrigerator already.
- Honey? YES
- Water? OF COURSE
- Garlic? Not even a question
So few ingredients needed for the perfect sweet to salty honey garlic sauce that will have you licking your fingers after every juicy bite.
Terrific Quick Chicken Breast Recipe
Though I personally have a preference for chicken thighs over chicken breast , I find myself putting chicken breast in my shopping trolley week after week.
Thus over the years, Ive built up a wide variety of quick and easy chicken breast recipes and this Honey Garlic Chicken is one of my favourite quick dinners that I find myself making over and over again.
Why Youll Love This Recipe
Creamy Lemon Chicken Breast
Chicken breast recipes can be so dull time to step it up! Cream and lemon are a luscious combination and is sensational served over golden crispy chicken. A quick and easy 10 minute recipe with few ingredients, serve this Creamy Lemon Chicken with pasta, mashed potato or for a low carb option, creamy cauliflower mash!
Can I Make This A Freezer Meal
This honey garlic chicken is a great freezer meal if you are meal prepping for yourself or any loved ones.
Want to learn how to reheat this freezer meal? Check out how here.
More of our Favorite
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
My two favorite things, together at last!
Anyone who reads this site regularly knows there are two things that I absolutely love. The first is my new Instant Pot. Ive only had it about a year, but Ive already used it to make shredded chicken, beef stew, steamed artichokes, and a bunch of pasta dishes and the list just keeps growing.
The other thing I really love is honey garlic sauce. I use it for meatballs, cocktail weenies, shrimp lo meineven carrots. No matter what you put it on, its delicious.
So it was only a matter of time before I decided to put these two wonderful things together. And sure enough, wonderful plus wonderful adds up to REALLY wonderful. This Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken is a Chinese-style dish bursting with honey-garlic flavor. And because you make it in the Instant Pot, its also really quick to make.
Step one, mix up the sauce, pour it over the meat, and cook for 20 minutes. Step two, take out the meat and thicken the sauce. And step three, cut up the meat and toss it with the sauce. Boom, done. Served over rice with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and green onions, its a super-flavorful Chinese meal that takes less time than ordering takeout.
How To Make Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
Grilled Chicken Tips And Tricks
Your chicken will come out tender and flavorful every time with these simple tips! These tips will help you create the best honey garlic chicken right on the grill!
- Thickness of Chicken: Larger cuts of chicken take longer to grill. Chicken typically will cook in 3-5 minutes on both sides, but if your cuts are thicker, you may need to add more time.
- Grease Grill: Brush your grill with oil before cooking to keep your chicken from sticking to it.
- Baste Often: Basting your chicken with marinade frequently during the cooking process will ensure you get a perfectly caramelized outside.
- Cover Your Grill: Not covering your grill means longer cook times. It also keeps your chicken from being completely surrounded with hot air to be cooked evenly.
- Thinning Chicken Breasts: If one of your chicken breasts is a lot thicker than the rest, pound it with a mallet before cooking to make sure it cooks at the same rate as the others.
- How to Know When Chicken is Done: When juices run clear or the internal temperature gets to 165 degrees Fahrenheit, your chicken is done cooking.